New Zealand Visas

New Zealand Visas

The New Zealand Government has an extensive immigration program, and the lifestyle and employment opportunities are the envy of many other countries. Whether you’re wanting to live, work or study in New Zealand temporarily or permanently, join family members there, start a business or invest, or simply visit this beautiful country as a tourist, there are a range of options available. TIA Lawyers has a team experienced in New Zealand immigration and an experienced registered migration advisor to guide you on all New Zealand immigration matters. View the below visa categories, and get in touch today to discuss your best way forward.

Skilled Migrant Category Visas (points test based)

Skilled migration is an important part of the New Zealand immigration program. New Zealand needs more skilled workers to fulfil their growth needs. If you have the skills and qualifications that match the future growth targets of the government, you can apply for a skilled migration visa. This visa entitles you to live, work and study in NZ indefinitely, and can include eligible family members. The New Zealand skilled migration system is points based. You must meet age, English language, health, and character requirements, as well as the minimum points requirements. Talk to This is Australia today about your migration goals.

Essential Skills – Work Visa

The New Zealand Government’s Essential Skills Visa is designed to enable New Zealand businesses to employ migrants to fill labour shortages that New Zealand citizens are unable to fill. If successful, this visa enables you to stay in New Zealand for up to 5 years. If you’re offered a full-time job by a New Zealand employer and you have the required skills and qualifications to perform that job, you may be able to apply for an Essential Skills Work Visa. You may also be able to support visa applications for your partner and dependent children if they are eligible.

Work to Residence Visa

This visa offers a pathway to move from a temporary visa and secure permanent New Zealand residence. As an NZ resident you’ll be able to stay in the country permanently, as well as access New Zealand public services. There are two pathways that are eligible for this visa, and certain conditions that must be met in order to be successful. Both the Accredited Employer Work Visa and the Long Term Skill Shortage List Work Visa are eligible for this pathway, and you’ll need to have been in New Zealand on a Work to Residence visa for two years and met the health and character requirements set out by the government.

New Zealand Working Holiday Visa

If you are aged between 18 and 30 and are from one of the eligible countries listed by the government, you can apply for New Zealand’s Working Holiday Visa. This visa allows you to work in any job or study any topic of your choosing during your stay. The Working Holiday Visa is longer than the standard visitor’s visa, and the New Zealand Government has working holiday agreements with many countries. To apply you must have enough money to pay for a return ticket, be coming mainly to holiday with work being a secondary intention, and meet the application requirements set out. Our advisor will make the process clear for you.

Tourist Visa and NZeTA

Citizens of many countries do not need a tourist visa to visit New Zealand. If you are from a visa waiver country, are traveling on a cruise ship, or are a permanent resident of Australia, you must hold an NZeTA (New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority) before you travel. For those who do require a tourist visa, if successful your visa will be a multiple-entry visa and can be granted for stays of up to 9 months. New Zealand tourist visas are for the purposes of visiting as a tourist, visiting friends and relatives, studying, playing sport, performing in cultural events without pay, undertaking a business trip, or undertaking a medical treatment. Certain conditions apply, and a member of This is Australia’s migration team will ensure your application is submitted correctly.

New Zealand Partner Visas

If you’re the partner of a New Zealand citizen or resident, you may be eligible for a partner visa. The partner visa allows you to live, work and study in New Zealand indefinitely. You and your partner will need to meet certain requirements, and be able to prove that you have been living together in a genuine and stable partnership. The New Zealand Government defines a partnership as two people of the opposite or same sex in either a legal marriage, a civil union, or a de facto relationship. Certain exemptions may apply, speak to our registered migration advisor about your personal circumstances.

Parent and Parent Retirement Visas

This visa category is for people who have an adult child who is a New Zealand citizen or resident. This visa allows you to live, work and study in NZ indefinitely, and you may be able to include your partner in your application. This visa also provides a pathway towards permanent New Zealand residency. As with all visas the parent visas have certain conditions that must be met. If you’re a grandparent or legal guardian of a New Zealand citizen or resident, you may also be eligible for this visa.

Call +61 (0)7 5535 3066
Or schedule a consultation with one of our lawyers.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Protected by reCAPTCHA Privacy and Terms.

Contact us or book a consultation